Photo by Kay Gundlach
You are invited to participate in the inaugural Garden Expo Photography Competition. Designed to bring another form of art, imagery and perspective to Garden Expo, the competition allows amateur photographers to demonstrate their skills and display their work. Photographs will be juried prior to the event, and selected photographs will be exhibited at Garden Expo for nearly 20,000 attendees to admire. The application deadline is December 15, 2018.
Viewers’ Choice $100
These prizes will be awarded in each category:
1st Place $50
2nd Place $25
3rd Place $10
1. Novice Eye (Ages 7-15)
- Open to amateur photographers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan. Youth (ages 7-15) may enter the “novice eye” category. All other categories are for adults ages 16 and older.
- All works must be original to the exhibitor.
- Photographs may be color, black and white or sepia.
- All photographs must include plant material.
- Each photograph must be registered with a separate application form.
- Each person may enter one photograph per category.
- Entry form and photograph must be received by December 15, 2018.
- All decisions by the jury and judges are final. The jury reserves the right to reject or reclassify any entry.
- Employees of Wisconsin Public Television, ECB and their immediate families are not eligible.
- Photographs may be used in future Garden Expo promotional materials. Photographer credit will be included.
- The online application is available at Garden Expo Photography Competition Entry Form.
- Entry is free.
- Each entry must include a high-resolution digital photograph. Image must have a long dimension of at least 1000 pixels and less than 3000 pixels. Save file as a JPG with maximum quality. The file size should be no more than 4 Mb.
- You will be notified by January 15, 2019 if your photograph is selected by the jury to be exhibited at Garden Expo.
- Selected photographs will be displayed at Garden Expo, February 8-10, 2019.
- Exhibitor must prepare their photograph for display by securely matting the photograph on white mat board with a minimum 2” mat width on all sides required. Finished size should be no less than 8” x 10” and cannot exceed 18” x 24”.
- Label the following information on back of the mat: exhibitor name, email, entry category, photograph orientation, city and state.
- Your matted photograph must be mailed and received by Garden Expo staff by January 31, 2019.
- Garden Expo is not responsible for damage or loss of any photograph during transit.
- Photographs will be individually reviewed by judges prior to the opening of the show. Photographs will be scored as follows: creativity, composition and technical merit.
- Attendees will vote for their favorite photograph, and the Viewers’ Choice award will be announced at 4 p.m. on Saturday, February 9.
- Winnings will be mailed within 60 days after the show closes.
- Exhibitors may pick up their photograph at Garden Expo on Sunday, February 10, from 4 to 5 p.m.
- All photographs not picked up during this time become property of Garden Expo.
- Alternatively, exhibitors may send a self-addressed, pre-stamped envelope prior to Garden Expo for the return of photos. The envelope must be large enough to contain the photograph(s) and include sufficient postage.
For additional information, contact:
Special Events Manager
Wisconsin Public Television
821 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706