Photo by Kay Gundlach
You are invited to participate in the Garden & Landscape Expo Photography Competition. Designed to bring another form of imagery and perspective to Garden & Landscape Expo, the competition allows amateur photographers to demonstrate their skills and display their work. Photographs will be juried prior to the event, and selected photographs will be exhibited at Garden & Landscape Expo for nearly 20,000 attendees to admire. The application deadline is December 15.
Viewers’ Choice $100
These prizes will be awarded in each category:
1st Place $50
2nd Place $25
3rd Place $10
1. Novice Eye (Ages 7-15)
4. Plants and Flowers
- Open to amateur photographers from Wisconsin.
- Youth (ages 7-15) may enter the “novice eye” category. All other categories are for adults ages 16 and older.
- All works must be original to the exhibitor.
- Photographs previously entered in the competition are not eligible for re-entry.
- Photographs may be color, black and white or sepia.
- All photographs must include plant material.
- Please be careful with your editing. Images that are overly sharpened or enhanced will be disqualified.
- Each photograph must be registered with a separate application form.
- Each person may enter one photograph per category.
- Entry form and digital photograph must be received by December 15, 2020.
- All decisions by the jury and judges are final. The jury reserves the right to reject or reclassify any entry.
- Employees of PBS Wisconsin, Educational Communications Board (ECB) and their immediate families are not eligible.
- Photographs may be used in future Garden & Landscape Expo promotional materials. Photographer credit will be included.
- The online entry form is available here.
- The online entry deadline is December 15.
- Entry is free.
- Each entry must include a high-resolution digital photograph. Image must have a long dimension of at least 1000 pixels and less than 3000 pixels. Save file as a JPG. The file size should be no more than 25 MB. Please name your file accordingly: “Category-ArtistName-PhotoTitle.jpg”.
- You will be notified by January 15, 2021 if your photograph is selected by the jury to be exhibited at Garden & Landscape Expo.
- Selected photographs will be displayed at Garden & Landscape Expo, February 12-14, 2021.
- Exhibitor must prepare photograph for display by mounting on white foam core. A minimum 2” border on all sides of photo is required. Photos must be at least 8” x 10”excluding foam core backing and cannot exceed 18” x 24” including backing.
- Label the following information on back of the mat: exhibitor name, email, entry category, photograph orientation (vertical/horizontal), city and state.
- Your matted photograph must be mailed and received by Garden & Landscape Expo staff by January 31, 2021.
- Garden & Landscape Expo is not responsible for damage or loss of any photograph.
- Photographs will be individually reviewed by judges prior to the opening of the show. Photographs will be scored as follows: creativity, composition and technical merit.
- Attendees will vote for their favorite photograph, and the Viewers’ Choice award will be announced at 4 p.m. on Saturday, February 13.
- Winnings will be mailed within 60 days after the show closes.
- JAMES GILL is a Madison based still photographer who worked for PBS Wisconsin and Wisconsin Public Radio for 37 years. Since his retirement in 2017, he has continued to photograph for clients such as Madison Opera, The UW Foundation, UW Credit Union, Isthmus and many others. While specializing in portraiture, his nationally-known nature and landscape photographs are an important part of his work. An avid gardener, James often retreats to his backyard to fight mosquitoes and photograph plant forms. James' images can be seen at jamesgillphotography.com.
- AMANDALYNN JONES grew up in the North woods of Wisconsin. Inspired by her mother, a plein air watercolor artist, who instilled a love for visual arts and the environment from a young age, Amandalynn has a deep love for being outdoors, creating. She pursued a formal education in Fine Art, and after graduating from the Institute of American Indian Arts in 2005, she began focusing heavily on digital photography. She has worked as a successful freelance commercial, wedding, and portrait photographer in the Madison area for more than 10 years and has seen her work featured in publications throughout Wisconsin and across the United States. Her personal passion projects feature her love of natural wonders, from sweeping landscapes to the glowing aurora borealis. Amandalynn lives in Middleton with her husband, two children, and their beloved pup. Amandalynn's images can be seen at amandalynnjones.com.
- INGRID LAAS developed her first roll of B&W film over three decades ago while taking a mini-course at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She quickly fell in love with working in the darkroom, and then began adding photography classes to her curriculum while pursuing a degree in life sciences communication at the UW. While the photography skills were supposed to only complement her writing skills, she ended up pursuing photography as a full-time business in its own right in 1998. Ingrid had a studio for 10 years on Madison’s near-east side that specialized in weddings and family portraits. Today, while no longer having a studio, Ingrid continues to use her skills to create images of people at conferences and events. In addition to her professional experience, she has served on the board of the non-profit photography organization PhotoMidwest, which sponsors a biennial photography festival in the greater Madison area.
- Exhibitors may pick up their photograph at Garden & Landscape Expo on Sunday, February 14, from 4 to 5 p.m.
- All photographs not picked up during this time become property of Garden & Landscape Expo.
- Alternatively, exhibitors may send a self-addressed, pre-stamped envelope by Jan. 31 for the return of photos. The envelope must be large enough to contain the photograph(s) and include sufficient postage.
2020 COMPETITION EXHIBIT
A virtual reality tour of last year's Garden & Landscape Photography Competition Exhibit is available here.
2020 AWARD WINNERS
Viewers' Choice - Phyllis Bankier (Milwaukee, Wis.), Beautiful Rust (Landscape)
Novice Eye 1st Place: Matthew Lakner (Cottage Grove, Wis.), Walkway
Novice Eye 2nd Place: Ethan Miller (Neillsville, Wis.), Roots
Novice Eye 3rd Place: Olive Minell (Osceola, Wis.), Zinnia Profile
Honorable Mention: Natalie Jolin (Coon Valley, Wis.), Morning Dew
Honorable Mention: Lina Ruiz (Brookfield, Wis.), Flare
Macro 1st Place: Michael Rausch (Madison, Wis.), Summer Dew
Macro 2nd Place: Kurt Huebner (Mukwonago, Wis.), Four Spotted Skimmer on Allium
Macro 3rd Place: Pat Toicen-Dycee (Pewaukee, Wis.), Red Eye Tree Frog
Honorable Mention: Elizabeth Kazda (Markesan, Wis.), White Chrysanthemum in Spectral Light
Honorable Mention: Cheryl Schiltz (Madison, Wis.), Dreamy Peony
Landscape 1st Place: Chuck Gustke (DeForest, Wis.), Pope Farm
Landscape 2nd Place: Annette Knapstein (Middleton, Wis.), Reflecting
Landscape 3rd Place: Katie Markson (Madison, Wis.),Off the Highway
Honorable Mention: Pat Toicen-Dycee (Pewaukee, Wis.), Smoky Mountain Fall
Honorable Mention: Jeff Trapp (Madison, Wis.), Harmonious
Food 1st Place: Terry Butler (Hudson, Wis.), Red Cabbage
Food 2nd Place: Phyllis Bankier (Milwaukee, Wis.), Luscious Figs
Food 3rd Place: James Raymond (Oshkosh, Wis.), They Look Delicious
Abstract 1st Place: Elizabeth Kazda (Markesan, Wis.), The Conversation
Abstract 2nd Place: David Bueschel (Menomonee Falls, Wis.), Starburst
Abstract 3rd Place: Chuck Gustke (DeForest, Wis.), Pope Farm
Honorable Mention: Phyllis Bankier (Milwaukee, Wis.), Purple Poppy Dispersal
Honorable Mention: Jennifer Peters (Middleton, Wis.), Whimsical
iPhone 1st Place: Annette Knapstein (Middleton, Wis.), Ferns 2
iPhone 2nd Place: Emmy Berning (Madison, Wis.), Mother of Millions
iPhone 3rd Place: Jessica Putz (Arcadia, Wis.), Pretty in Pink
Honorable Mention: Ilana Haimes (Madison, Wis.), Carrots - Intertwined
For additional information, contact:
Special Events Manager
821 University Ave.
Madison, WI 53706