Window Box Competition
You are invited to participate in the inaugural Garden & Landscape Expo Window Box Competition. The challenge is to transform a standard 36" window box into a garden with color, design, texture, height and fragrance. Your design must incorporate this year’s theme: “kaleidoscopes and optical illusions.”
Don’t miss this opportunity to showcase your skill and creativity to more than 20,000 garden lovers and compete for $250 in prize money. Talented amateurs and seasoned professionals are all welcome.
Rules and Guidelines
- Entrants can be individuals or teams of up to four people.
- Must use live plants; no artificial flowers or plants allowed.
- Window box must be designed and planted by entrant(s).
- You will be provided with a 36” window box to be picked up prior to the competition.
- Window box design must incorporate the 2020 theme: “kaleidoscopes and optical illusions.”
- A plant list must be submitted by February 1.
- Completed flower boxes must be dropped off at Garden & Landscape Expo between 4 and 6 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 6 to be set up for display.
- Signage that includes entrant name(s) and plant list will be provided for each window box.
- Window box should not be commercial or retail-oriented.
- All window boxes will remain on exhibit until 4 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 9, at which time plant materials can be picked up/removed from the window box. All materials not removed by 6 p.m. will be disposed.
- Garden & Landscape Expo is not responsible for damage or loss of window box contents.
- Employees of Wisconsin Public Television, Wisconsin Educational Communications Board and their immediate families are not eligible.
- The online application is available at Garden & Landscape Expo Window Box Competition Application.
- Entry is free.
- The entry deadline is Dec. 15, 2019.
- A limited number of competition spots are available. A jury will evaluate entries based on strength of design idea/concept. You will be notified by Jan. 1, 2020 if you are selected by the jury to participate.
- The entry form requires a brief description of your design idea/concept.
Viewers’ Choice Award
Garden & Landscape Expo attendees will vote for their favorite window box during the event. A Viewers’ Choice award will be announced at 4 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 8. The winning entrant or team will receive $250, to be mailed within 60 days after the show closes.